Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Panda Express Orange Chicken

I don't know about you, I L-O-V-E the orange chicken at Panda Express. In fact, just a week before I had to quit wheat, I was planning on going there and getting a HUGE tray of it for $35, it's worth it for me! Well, I was devastated when I thought that I was NEVER going to have orange chicken again! But luckily for me, I found this recipe. (I just had to tweak it a little) When I made it a couple weeks ago... It was good, but it didn't taste the same. I didn't put enough honey in, so you could taste the vinegar. But it was good enough that I wanted to make it again. But when I made it today, it tasted almost the same as the stuff you buy! (That's saying a lot, considering its gluten, dairy, corn and sugar free) Well, it's not that complex, and it tastes REALLY good. But I still prefer the real stuff, but I'd give this one four stars!

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
Oil (for frying)
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup GF flour mix
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 dash crushed hot red chilies
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (you can use a little water, or white vinegar with honey)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon potato starch

For the Sauce:

1 1/2 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoon water
5 Tablespoons honey
5 Tablespoons white vinegar


Directions:
In large bowl, beat egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil together. Cut chicken pieces into 2-inch squares, place them in the large bowl with the egg mixture and coat well. In a large dish, stir potato starch and flour together with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat. In a wok or deep-fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees. Add chicken pieces, small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger and garlic, stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chilies. Add rice wine (or honey and vinegar) and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon potato starch, and mix until completely smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thickened. Serve at once. This goes quite well with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment